Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Pedicures

So, I've heard word that the farrier is coming out tomorrow morning. I can already feel the butterflies in my tummy. I've pretty much blocked it out, but I have a bad history with farriers from my first 8 years of life. Mostly too rough and mean or lack of. So it was a bit of an issue when I first came here and my feet were a mess, but I tried to sit down and roll over on this new to me farrier when all he was trying to do was help me.
It's taken about 5 or 6 years now and a few great farriers and a tiny bit of dormosedan at the beginning, but I'll now stand for the farrier. I tend to blank out during my trim experience, but my Ohio mom noticed the last two trims I haven't done that. She said that faraway look in my eyes is gone when the farrier is dealing with me...so I'm still making progress!

Hoof care is one of those basics for us equines. No hoof, no horse. They support our weight and when you are riding, they support your weight too! I get my tootsies trimmed every 5 weeks in the spring/summer/fall and usually about every 6 weeks in the winter, which is usually due to the weather and the farrier having to reschedule. But it's good, hooves don't seem to grow as fast in the winter.

A great farrier is hard to find, and I hope all of you have found one. He needs to know his stuff, as well as be willing to listen to your thoughts and concerns. He should treat your equines with respect as well. That is something I didn't have until my current home and it's really messed with me a lot. I still flinch whenever the rasp is pulled out. But at least I no longer have the total meltdown of a few years back. My farrier will also let me take a small walk and "re-gather my thoughts" time in between each foot if I need it. The first time he met me, I did rear up on him on the last foot he was doing. He stuck with me, talked me down and finished. Then gave me some scritches. That earned bonus points in my book and my moms.
Your farrier should be timely as well. We've been blessed with a couple of great farriers here the past few years that have been on time and not kept me waiting with all those tummy butterflies. And when they are late or can't make it due to unforeseen circumstances, they call. I know not every farrier does this, but they should. It's just good manners.
Speaking of good manners. Your horse should have them. I know I'm one to talk, but my mom is ALWAYS upfront with the farrier. Especially when we've had to get a new one due to retirement. She always reminds the farrier that I'm the pony that has farrier issues. So if your horse is less than perfect, release that information to the farrier so he knows what to expect. Also let your farrier know if your horse is arthritic or sore. But, aside from abuse and neglect cases, horses that are sore, and young foals who are still learning, your horse should stand calmly, pick their feet up when asked and not jerk their feet away. All of these are things you can teach your horse in your own time, it isn't up to your farrier to.

So, now I'm going to loaf around today and chow down on hay. My mom is gonna come out and give us a good grooming in a bit and just hang out with us today. And yes, she is going to work with me on picking my feet up.

No comments:

Post a Comment